thumbprint's organic standards and sustainability
Founder and winemaker, Scott Lindstrom-Dake, actively seeks partnerships with growers that farm their grapes to organic standards. Winemaking starts with attention to detail in the vineyards and strong relationships with our grower partners. This sustainable approach means a better overall product in your glass and better care for our land.
We value our Team! So it makes sense that we pay them a living wage. Additionally, we provide full-coverage medical, dental and vision insurance coverage to our full-time employees. We also offer a SIMPLE investment plan and match a percentage of our employee contribution. Assembling a strong Team is vital to provide the level of customer service we encourage. Taking care of our Team is an essential aspect to keeping them. This is our top sustainability goal!
We strive to bring a unique approach to all that we do and when it comes to sustainability, doing our best to make sure that no detail is overlooked and seek to be sustainably significant with every aspect of our product. Here are a few examples of how we have reduced our carbon footprint:
- We partner with an American glass company with production facilities in North America, eliminating the need for overseas transport. This also contributes to more jobs in the US.
- The black synthetic corks aren’t just an aesthetic choice. They represent a commitment to wine quality and consistency and are manufactured by a local, environmentally conscious company. The manufacturing process of these corks uses 100% renewable energy and minimal water consumption, are recyclable and ideal for sustainable wines.
- We upcycle empty wine bottles and have them repurposed into candles, platters and tumblers which are available for purchase.
- We don't 'foil' around with our bottles – don’t need them and otherwise end up in a landfill.
- Using plant-based dyes to screen print our labels equates to fewer materials needed and less waste.
- To keep you updated with everything thumbprint we send an e-newsletter to further reduce paper waste. Join us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We use night air fans for natural cellar cooling instead of electric cooling units.
- Our steam cleaning system uses only 1% of traditional water usage.
- Our lighting is being transitioned to LED using 2/3 less energy.
- All of our MOG (Material other than Grape) and lees are reworked into the vineyard soil.
- More upcycling: Our barrels are repurposed into furniture by a local artisan.
These are a few of the efforts we make in order to maintain sustainability and remain sensitive to environmental concerns in all that we do. We are constantly looking for more ways to improve our standing as global citizens and tirelessly investigate the latest and most innovative approaches to improve our sustainability. We are currently exploring using solar technology at the winery as well as looking to have a complete line of American-made retail items.
Our goal is to be the big thumbprint with a tiny carbon footprint. You might even say it's as small as a thumbprint!
To get a better idea of how we think, this is an article that outlines many of our sustainability practices: How Does Your Love of Wine Contribute to Climate Change?